Thursday, May 13, 2010

Later... a hike...

Our drive took us past Delaware, Ohio and Grady Hospital where our middle child was born. It seemed fitting to muse about her birth on Mother's Day; she seemed to like it as well. After lunch at Arby's (Under $23 dollars for five adult size appetites. You really should try out their dollar menu! yum!), we headed to one of our favorite parks.

Though the eagle's nest is shrouded by leaves, there is still so much to enjoy at Highbanks Metro Park on US Route 23 North, near Polaris, Ohio. The trees tower, the hills beg to be climbed and peace seems to surround you as you walk.

As we enjoyed our time together, we saw a family in front of us stop and stare at a tree. The father reached out and touched something. I heard him say..."dead"... and they walked on. I was curious, what was, "dead"? Walking toward the tree I gasped, there was a beautiful dragonfly motionless on the trunk of the tree. Bending forward, our family admired the creature. I pondered collecting it's body to show my Kindergarten students. It was then that the breathtaking insect moved!

I'm not kidding... hand to heaven... It was ALIVE! Our family cheered... we snapped a picture and attracted the attention of the next family coming along... As we walked away, they stepped up to enjoy the show. We hypothesized that it was the unseasonably cool weather that made the animal so unusually tranquil. Whatever the reason, in all my thirty six years, it was the first time I have ever seen a dragonfly so still.

What a discovery... what a gift... priceless and yet free for all to share... I am so glad to be mom to my children... wife to my husband... child to my Creator... I am blessed...

What have you seen lately that made you stop in awe? Go ahead... tell someone... share your experience... Happiness is meant to be passed on.

Now and Always... I pray that you are blessed.

No comments: