Monday, May 31, 2010

Wow! We saw snakes!

Yesterday, while at Dawe's Arboretum in Newark, (http://www.dawesarb.org/visitor.php), my husband and I, our children and my parents were treated to some amazing sights while touring the Cypress Swamp.

We had been looking forward to seeing tadpoles and I sat down on the raised boardwalk and peered into the water with our children. Our older daughter pointed out a salamander and I squealed in delight. I haven't seen a salamander in the wild since I was a child. (I must admit, I laid down on the walkway to get a better look.)

Moments later my husband, who was pushing my mother's wheelchair, spied the little snake on the log in the picture above. I popped up and went running to look. I haven't seen a snake since our oldest was a bitty toddler picking blackberries with me. I grinned at the creature and scurried back to the car for my cell phone so I could take a picture. If all of this wasn't enough, my father spotted a snake swimming that was at least two feet long!

About this time another family arrived with their adult son who had a lot in common with our two younger children. I pointed out the critters to him and he was equally delighted. What a treat. What an amazing ecosystem! Without Dawe's such a swamp wouldn't exist here in Ohio. Dawe's is a wondrous place. Please consider a trip. Admittance to the arboretum is completely free and the staff is friendly and helpful. There are places for picnics and public bathrooms. Upcoming events include a Bonsai show on June 12th and 13th and many summer educational programs.

No comments: