Monday, May 31, 2010

Our garden grows!

As the year came to a close I had mixed feelings that every teacher understands. I was a little sad. Some of my students will not be back for the summer. I may not see them again. As they have been a part of my life since August, I will miss them. I was also happy. My students made good academic gains and I was proud of their progress. I was excited about the long summer before me and eagerly anticipating the summer camp I am leading.

Like the corn my students are growing in our school garden, the best things in life take time. Anything worth doing... worth learning... worth having... is worth the time and effort it takes to nurture it. If we were to stop tending our garden now, we would get nothing but perhaps a few ears and a lot of weeds. Since I am looking forward to having a "corn party" and enjoying tomatoes with my summer campers, this is not an acceptable option.

Because of this, I will help my charges tend our little oasis of nutrition. Day by day, I will teach them how to weed, when to water and what to do about the pests that may arrive. Together we will learn... together we will work... together we will share the joy when our efforts pay off!

No comments: