Monday, October 6, 2008

Running and rhyming

This morning in my never ending attempt to keep my Kindergarten kiddos learning and having a good time too, I invented a silly game.

I drew four simple pictures: a pig, a star, a mop and a cat and taped one on each wall of our gym.

Then I told the kids that I wasn't, "Ms. Susan", instead I was a Super Amazing Tricker who was going to "catch" anyone who couldn't rhyme.

Next, I read a word and told the kids they needed to run to the picture that rhymed with the word I had just spoken.

With laughs of glee they ran while I pretended to catch them.

We played the game for ten minutes or so. Not very long in the whole scheme of life. But, I hope long enough to reinforce the concept of rhyming and to plant a happy memory of learning in their hearts that will stay with them.

Kindergarten... I'm tired... they're crazy... but I am so happy to teach them.

No comments: