Friday, December 26, 2008

Big or Little?

Normally my Kindergarten kids are the little ones at our Kids' Campus building.

Though we clearly rule the school, as it is ours all day and the school age children only come after our curriculum is over, my children are dwarfed by the first through fourth graders that daily arrive with backpacks and homework looking for a snack and some down time.

Today, because of the low number of children attending the day after Christmas, my principal did not open our building. Instead, we were given use of several areas in our Learning Center next door that houses the daycare program for our infants through preschool children.

So instead of being "little" my kids were the "big" ones. They were the ones told to watch out for the "babies" and be careful to not break the small peoples' playthings. I think they actually enjoyed the switch.

It's funny... on Monday they will be the little ones again... and I'll be asking the school age friends to be careful of them.

I have to smile. How many times do we play duel roles as well? Who hasn't put on a brave face for others when you are truthfully scared to death? Or explained the finer points of life to a questioning child when you're unsure of the answers?

I think as adults being with children helps to keep us on an even path. By leading them, we are forced to call on our "best" behavior. I think we grow just as they do. When we show the little ones we love the way, we remember what we are supposed to do... what we should say and what we believe.

No comments: