Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Winter Daydreams....














Sitting under gray skies, sometimes it is hard to believe that the world will ever be warm and sunny again. That somewhere out there will be tiny bunnies nesting in my hidden backyard, sunflowers growing taller than my house and heirloom tomatoes making my mouth water as they ripen.

Today my second flower and vegetable catalog came. This one I think I'll have to stop and ponder. I must confess that I already possess enough seeds to fill several yards as well as many perennials that continue to spread year after year. And yet, there is something wonderful about the call of the flower catalog in the winter.

I chuckle though... like my love of strange statues, new factories and silly children, I tend toward the more unusual offerings when I daydream. Many times strange berry bushes from Siberia or tiny edible morsels that are harvested with special combs call to me.

As a child, one of my favorite shows was Little House on the Prairie. I have always admired the spirit of the pioneers. They carved happiness out of a barren land. With their loved ones and strangers, they formed communities and created a new world. They made what they needed or did without. I think truthfully, in some part of my subconscious, I like to imagine I am one of them as I fill my yard with edible plants and beautiful flowers.

Almost always, practicality wins out over my musings... Would I really eat those berries that will take several years to mature? How many naughty words will I consider if I have to mow around one more planting?
So most years maturity wins; I plant blackberries instead of Siberian cherry bushes and forgo those strange fruiting ground coverings.
Sure, my yard is probably better off because of my restraint. However, some daydreams are meant to be indulged.
This year I will give into my whimsy. I think it is time to throw caution into the wind and give my innocent cravings a chance to be expressed. I will buy something strange and chuckle for years about the consequences.
How about you? What secret blissful longing is hidden in your heart? Why not consider letting it see the light of day? Innocent happiness makes the world more fun.

No comments: