Sunday, June 27, 2010

pausing to enjoy...

In an age of rules,
made by those afraid of lawsuits,
some of the simple pleasures of life are in danger of being forgotten.

One evening,
not too long ago,
my husband and I took our son for a walk.

On a particularly lovely street in downtown Columbus, Ohio
are massive fountains that just beg for toes to be dipped in.

I helped our son take his shoes off
and just for a moment or two,
take a trip into the past,
to a simpler time.

As he played in the water,
I smiled...
and remembered the many times my own mother let me play.

My mom kept a towel in the trunk of our car to dry of my brother and I if we got a bit too damp from an adventure.

Creek wading...
fountain splashing...
even the hand pump at the rest stop...

The possibilities were endless...

Sigh...
I love summer!

No comments: