Thursday, January 1, 2009

A Brand New Year

Today is the beginning of 365 new days.

What does it matter?
How is today tangibly different from yesterday?
Humanity has always been interested in recording and explaining the passage of time.
From the notches on some American Indian walking sticks to clay tablets inscribed with deeply religious ideas of the creation and destruction of life, looking back through history, we can see countless calendars and methods of recording the passage of time.
Something in our very nature must call for such a cycle.
A new start every so often.
A way of remembering what has come before.
Of ordering the events of our lives in a meaningful fashion.
In American culture, we often make New Year's Resolutions, promises that seek to make changes in our lives.
Changes for the better.
I think this is a wonderful tradition.
There have been many years when I have laughed at this concept and felt satisfied enough to exclaim that, I didn't need a new year to make changes.
This year, I acknowledge that there are areas in my life that I would like to be different.
I am making a list.
A list with happy dreams of camping in a State or National Park along with serious plans of taking actions that make my life what it needs to be for myself, and my children. And... oh yes, like millions of other perpetually hopeful people, somewhere in there will be a little note to myself about crunches and a flat tummy!
So, I will embrace the New Year and step forward to greet it with dreams and resolve in my heart.
It will be a good year!
I hope you will say the same.
May God bless you as your days follow one after another. May you be equal to the trouble you will face and open to the joys that are possibilities for you!
Happy 2009!

No comments: