Sunday, November 30, 2008

Remembering those we love...keeping the traditions alive


This is my eldest on her baptism day. The woman on the far left is my mother whom I love with all my heart. The beautiful lady holding my daughter is my grandmother. My grandmother has been gone for several years now and it seems like I miss her more near the holidays.
My grandma did the holidays like no one I've ever met. Her whole house turned into a Christmas wonderland. She had a big tree in the living room, one on a buffet in the dining room and even one near the television in the family room. She had a Christmas village, a collection of Christmas angels and a nativity that was amazing. (A real wooden barn with hand carved animals about six to eight inches tall...real hay... even a well...) Under the big tree when I was little, my grandpa would get into the spirit. He had a village with mirror ponds, houses, skating penguins and even matchbox cars.
Don't get me started on the stockings, making candy with grandma or how warm and cozy the house always was. There was food everywhere and so much dessert there should have been a chaperon guarding the sweets!
Yesterday, when I put my little tree above my television, I could almost feel my grandma. She would really have liked my tree! It makes me smile to think I've taken one of my childhood memories and made it mine again.
This Christmas, I think I'll teach my oldest how to make the Christmas candy my grandma and I used to make. The wonderful traditions that touched our hearts as children need to be passed on.

No comments: