Monday, June 30, 2008

Making Jam is yummy!


It's raining off and on today and I really must do something with all those cherries I picked! So today is a happy jam day!
For the record, it only took 4 and 1/2 hours to pit the three gallons. I did it yesterday afternoon and put them in the freezer. That way the fruit wouldn't spoil if something intervened to keep me from cooking today. The secret to not being bored while you prepare your fruit is to pit/clean/chop while you do something else. In my case I watched two movies while I worked. (I'm betting that is why pioneer women worked together to do chores. They didn't have t.v. and hours working in the kitchen would have been very dull without a friend to talk with.)

The first thing to do is to decide if you want to make sugar-free jelly/jam or regular jelly. I suggest both, that way you can share with everyone you know regardless of their dietary needs. Buy Sure-Jell or another brand of fruit pectin and look inside the box to see what else you need. A few recipes call for lemon juice or unsweetened apple or white grape juice so check before you leave the store. It's really annoying to realize in the middle of the recipe that you don't have what you need. Unless you're swimming in sugar at your house, you'll probably need an extra bag. Some recipes call for 5 or more cups of sugar! (That's often a larger amount than the fruit you will add and also why it is so yummy!) Remember that you will need to buy a box of Sure-Jell that says it is for sugar-free recipes if you want to make that kind. The two kinds will not substitute for each other.

Many supermarkets have canning jars. If you have to make a special trip out, call around before you go. That way if you have your heart set on a specific size of jar you won't be chasing all over town to get them. When I make jam or jelly I usually use small jars, that way I have more to share. However, if you plan on keeping most of your product for yourself, then maybe larger jars are the way to go.

By now some of you are probably rolling your eyes and saying that it sounds like too much work and trouble. I'll admit it would be easier to buy a jar of jam or jelly at the store but nothing is quite like sharing a jar of something homemade with someone you care about. The gift is always well received. The product you will make is better than what you can buy in the store and it is very satisfying to know you can make something that tastes so good.
One final point, there are no mistakes possible. If for some reason your jelly doesn't set. Pack it in jars and process it anyway. Claim it is homemade fruit syurp! This "mistake" is great on ice cream, pancakes, angel food cake.... the list could go on and on.
If you'd like more information on making jams or jelly go to: http://www.kraftfoods.com/surejell/sj_secrets_cooked.html#before.
Have I mentioned that you can use fresh or frozen fruit purchased from a store? Give it a try. (Consider buying a jar lifter though, burns aren't part of the adventure I'm advocating.)

1 comment:

Miss Issippi said...

Mmmm, it is delicious! Thank you for a jar of this jam! I have actually never tried cherry jam, so naturally, I was nervous, but I LOVE sugar, and fresh fruit is great too.

Anyways, I'm almost through the entire jar. I've been eating it like soup.

Thanks for sharing! Whoever picked the cherries picked some good ones!