Monday, June 30, 2008

A trip to a rainbow


Sometimes an adventure means reimagining the place you call home. Lately I've been tired of staring at the color of my bathroom. Ever since I saw the Great Barrier Reef murals in the Ladies restroom, near the Austraila exhibt, at the Columbus Zoo, I've been itching to recreate it in a small way at my house. I already had a lovely "fishy" shower curtain but the walls... They were yellow! How can my fish swim in a pale yellow sea? That just looked awful!

Do you have a room that could use a little pick me up? Is your imagination "swimming" with ideas that won't go away? All you need to make your dreams a reality is a gallon or so of paint (maybe some primer too) and a few brushes.

First go to your paint store and stand in front of the huge displays that house so many hues of the rainbow. For me, I'm always drawn to the sky blues. My husband favors the greens. So we pick out a few colors we both can stand and think about it a while. Then when I can't stand to wait any longer I gleefully go to the store and show the paint people my chosen color(s). They help me by mixing it all up and I drive them crazy by insisting I must have semi gloss even though they suggest a flat. (You can scrub gloss until the cows come home, a real must with my darlings!)

When you get home make everyone who is not helping go away! Tape, prime, clean, move or cover whatever you need to. Then have at it. Paint the dull and drab away. When you are done and it's dried, invite your family back from wherever they've been banished and show off what you've done. Saying "TAHDAH" is acceptable and encouraged, selling tickets is probably going a bit too far.

No comments: