Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Columbus Topiary Garden in Old Deaf School Park


Today was a busy day. I painted a little more (and have a few paint smudges to prove it), and tore some carpet out of my hallway. I did a little laundry and worked on job applications. As a new teacher, the job hunt is fully underway and somewhat disheartening as there are many more teachers than jobs. Still I plod on, hoping for the call, that leads to an interview, that could lead to a classroom of my own.
Even so, the day was very productive and I think I need a break. Sometime very soon the kids and I are going to an amazing park in downtown Columbus, Ohio. In Old Deaf School Park there are amazing bushes (topiary if you please) that have been trained to look exactly like a beautiful impressionist painting by George Seurat. Check out: http://www.topiarygarden.org/park.htm to get all the details and see the original painting. The park is located at the Northwest corner of East Town St. and Washington Ave. It is open year round and is handicap assessable. In addition to the fascinating topiary, there are picnic tables, a walking path and a beautiful pond with ducks, lilly pads and fish! The pond and the walking trail would be worth a visit even without the life size living art that the park is famous for. Take a look at the virtual tour at: http://www.topiarygarden.org/virtual-tour.htm. The pictures will give you an idea but they do not do the park justice. In summer there are also beautiful flowers that add to the peaceful atmosphere.

No comments: