Sunday, August 10, 2008

Creeking!



Who can resist splashing in a creek and catching a crawdad? I know I can't and once you've been creeking, you won't want to miss any opportunity to play and explore either!

Today our family headed to Three Creeks, a Columbus Metro Park located at 3860 Bixby Road in Groveport, Ohio.

According to the Metro park program, everyone was invited to join the naturalist for an afternoon searching for "creek critters"!

This sounded like a wonderful invitation to us, so after lunch we searched for old sneakers, packed towels and extra clothes and of course, our camera. Then, we headed out looking forward to an interesting adventure.

We were not disappointed!

The kind naturalist leading our trip told us about the animals we might see and taught everyone how to use big mesh nets to try and catch little animals to examine. Then, she turned us loose.
Soon there were kids happily splashing everywhere you looked!

My son was the first one to decide that the creek was as good as a swimming pool, but he certainly was not the last kid to dive in! I must confess that if I had been completely positive my sandwich baggies really would have kept my camera dry, I would have found my own seat on the creek bottom.

The day was perfect! The sun was shining and a light breeze was blowing across the water. I was taken back to the days of my own youth and the many hours I spent wading through creeks with absolute abandon.

If you get a chance to play in a creek, pond or lake this summer, take towels and extra clothes for anyone who just may end up completely soaked!

(Consider taking some for the grown-ups too... just in case!)

For more information on Three Creeks go to: http://www.metroparks.net/ParksThreeCreeks.aspx.

For more information on upcoming programs go to: http://reservations.metroparks.net/programs/. Don't forget the program link to Columbus Metro Parks is always in the right hand column of my blog under "Necessary Websites".

No comments: