Saturday, August 16, 2008

Thank you Zettler's!

There is nothing quite like the service you receive in a locally owned hardware store!

You know that when you walk into the store, there will be someone who not only wants to help you, but also is capable of doing so!

In my neighborhood, the best place to go for advice is our local Zettler's. Everyone there is very friendly. The workers actually ask if you need help!

When I go with a problem, I seek out David, the oldest most reliable man in the building. He will tell you if what you are trying to do is difficult or not. He will hunt down the parts you need and even show you how to assemble connections and remind you to use special "tape" to seal your pipes.

This morning started with a steady leak in my bathroom that was not fixed with my favorite marine epoxy. I was at my wits end. I put a small bucket under the leak, put a towel on the floor and left for a family birthday party.

During lunch, I told my family what had happened and everyone assured me that I could fix the problem. They told me the pipe could be unscrewed at both ends and easily replaced. I was optimistic but worried because I'd already looked and couldn't find the connection with the wall pipe.

Back at home I looked again. Pondered my options and decided to break a tile so I could see into the wall. That did the trick and I found my wall pipe! Immediately I shut off the water, drained the toilet and tried to unscrew the problem. Even with a wrench, the pipe was rusted too much to turn.

I headed to Zettler's and asked my "go to" guy.

He suggested "liquid wrench", a chemical that warns you that its use can cause you to die unexpectedly!

I bought some anyway.

At home I sprayed the stuff and waited a moment or two. Then, magically I could loosen the pipe!

Once more I went to the store. I took the whole broken part with me (I've found that this is the secret to returning home with what you honestly need on the first try!). David gave me everything I needed for less than $23! (Although truthfully I spent about $15 on various epoxies this morning... but that's beside the point!)

No more flooded bathroom!

If you encounter a issue that you think you may be able to fix, talk to the most experienced person at your local hardware store and take their advice.

I've never been steered wrong.

No comments: