Thursday, August 7, 2008

Remembering the past

Today the kids and I set out in search of ducks to feed.

We headed towards the cemetery where several of our family members are buried. In years past, there were always ducks on the pond near the chapel.

Sadly, it seems that they have been chased away. I do understand why, ducks and geese are messy. But, there is something vaguely comforting about feeding water fowl.

So, instead of sharing our stale cereal with feathered creatures, we contented ourselves with a walk to my children's grandpa's grave. It took us a while to find the spot as I always seem to get turned around in cemeteries.

Studying the grave, I contemplated the airplane that adorns the marker. Grandpa was an artist and an aviation fan. The paintings that he did are truly lovely and the times he spent at air shows with his children are some of their fondest memories. It seems only right that a glance at his grave reminds us of what he loved so very much.

I have always found cemeteries to be peaceful places. Now mind you, I'm not in a hurry to find myself in one, but they are fascinating places to visit when your heart is not aching from the recent loss of a loved one.

As a child, I often wandered the rows of country cemeteries as my father looked up information for his genealogy. (I once even lost a pair of glasses while happily playing!)

If you are in the Columbus area, you may want to consider touring Green Lawn Cemetery located at 1000 Green Lawn Avenue, Columbus, Ohio 43223. There is a standing tour at 11:00 AM the first Saturday of every month. If this time is inconvenient for you, call (614) 444-1123 to schedule a tour at another time. You can also check out their website at: http://www.greenlawncolumbus.org/. Green Lawn has amazing monuments and even birds and prairie flowers found few other places!

You may just find yourself admiring porcelain grave pictures and standing on your tiptoes to peer into "haunted" mausoleums!

No comments: