Monday, August 4, 2008

Old photos

Today I was sorting some old photographs my parents recently gave me when I stumbled upon a picture that took me back more than fifteen years.


On the way home from college one day, as we traveled the back roads looking for adventure, we came upon a most unusual sight.

Around a bend, we suddenly encountered a road completely covered in box turtles!

I don't know why there were so many or why they were all intent on crossing the road, but I was both amazed at the sight and horrified at the danger they were in.


Begging my parents to pull off, we hopped out and began to move the turtles to the other side, out of harms way. Except for one that got squished by a speeding truck, our efforts were successful and very satisfying.


Finding the photo this afternoon was bittersweet, for many things have changed since that day. Among the other photos, I saw pictures from holidays at my grandma's house. It has been almost three years since she's been gone and I still miss her.


Photographs have a way of bringing back things lost in the recesses of our minds. Sometimes remembering can be sad, but, I think it would be worse to forget.

Perhaps you have a box of pictures that you haven't seen in a long while. Maybe it's time to dust them off and reminisce.

No comments: