Monday, January 5, 2009

Back to School

Today, like so many people, I woke up and wondered if anyone would notice if I just crawled back into bed. Although my school has been open for most of Winter Break and I have been working, we have been having "fun" days. When I opened my eyes this morning, I knew my kiddos were going to take some convincing to believe it was time to work again.

So it was with slight trepidation that I entered the car to head to work. With my coffee in one hand and my radio tuned to easy listening music, I prepared mentally for the day ahead.

Clearing my mind of all issues, I let myself sing along to the radio and find a happy place.

I knew I'd need it.

The morning was interesting.

A few students needed reminded of our rules... a few others that they were five and not two. But, honestly their behavior was not any different than I had been expecting and had planned for.

Every center activity I had was completely new and every single one was something they would want to do. A few extraordinary messes were made and several students had to be reminded of the clean now or clean at recess policy. But the morning, though definitely "hands on" was not a problem and without any blood shed we made it to lunch.

After lunch we acted out math problems, listened to a story pretending we were turtles and did an experiment about what rolls and what doesn't. We even made a phonics sorting game and tried it out with our friends.

I chuckle when I think of how the messes got picked up, the rule breakers changed their minds and how much work we actually completed. I only raised my voice once and all in all, I had a very nice day.

I don't know about you, but I missed seeing some of my coworkers who had been gone over break as well as some of my mischievous little ones who had been at home for two weeks.

I am happy to be back, but I admit I am a little wistful when I think back over the holidays. Without the work of teaching daily, I took it easy. I planned January lessons at my leisure and treated myself to some serious "me" time. It was wonderful.

As you recuperate tonight and ponder tomorrow, take care of yourself.

At the end of my day, I long for conversation with friends and a little down time.

I found a tall cup of coffee with flavored cream and Splenda on the way home and I stole some time to "talk" to you.

Later, I'll call a girlfriend or two and maybe my favorite aunt. I find that I'm much happier if I can share my day with those I care about.

What about you? What will make your evening complete? Whatever it is, be it a soft chair, a slice of pizza or even a half hour curled up with a good book.... please consider it.

Whatever you choose, wherever you are, I hope this message finds you well.

God Bless,
Kindergarten girl

No comments: