Saturday, January 3, 2009

Differentiated Homework

I sit here typing with a smile on my face and a very impatient pup.

I'm smiling because I have just finished packing up my homework folders for the week.

My dog is disturbed because my bed has been covered all day with homework materials, center activities, take home books, card stock clocks and even little baggies of math manipulatives.

Homework takes a long time to assemble as I have different phonics, flash cards and take home books for different students. This means I also have different parent letters, question sets and book descriptions. It is so satisfying to find the perfect alphabet cards to reach the ones working on letter recognition as well as to work with the parents of a very advanced student to find books to challenge and entertain their little one.

I find that I'm always thinking happily about how to reach my students. How to find activities that challenge them and help them love learning. This means that teacher stores and the "One Spot" at Target are my downfall. How can I walk past the coveted packs of gel pens and not pick up a few for my little ones? How can I see snowman tattoos and Kindergartner's are #1 pencils and not buy eighteen?

I feel an awesome responsibility towards these little ones in my care. Teaching is the most difficult job I have ever had and the one that feels the most natural to me as well.

Everyday I blessed with the opportunity to grow as a professional. To learn better ways to teach, to find excellent activities and add to my growing "bag of tricks" that lead to an orderly classroom.

I love teaching. It is such a blessing to be able to lead small people in such an important way. I am humbled by their love and their desire to learn.

May you be equal to whatever it is you need to do. May you find happiness in the tasks set before you, in the people you serve and in the daily blessings that come your way.

Wishing you only happy things!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your charges are certainly lucky to have you as their teacher!

an adventurer on the road of life said...

Thank you very much. I am blessed to be able to teach them.