Friday, January 23, 2009

Footprints in the Sand

It seems like sometimes we pass on good advice and forget to take it ourselves.


I've been known to warn fellow gardeners not to plant too many unusual things at once, so as to prevent seedling confusion, only to plant ten or eleven exotic experiments myself and become terribly bemused when the wind blows my seed around before it sprouts.

I've even instructed my children that too many cookies will make them sick and then eaten too many sweets myself. (Though at 35 my definition of "too many" is quite a bit different than it was many years ago!)


I'd almost bet that I am not the only one who sometimes needs to take their own advice.


More than a year ago, I assured a dear friend that God was indeed still in charge of the world. I pointed to a favorite childhood poem called "Footprints in the Sand" and told my struggling confidant not to give up.

Today, the same friend gave my advice back to me.

I quickly did a web search and found the familiar poem.

I share it with you here today in the hopes that it reminds you, as it did me, that our Creator loves us and regardless of the storms in our lives, he will never leave us.


May the ones you love be there when you need them,

sharing good advice,

even if it is your own advice,

returned when it is most needed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I am going to find a nice framed print of that poem to hang on my wall, to give me strength during the lows of my life.

Anonymous said...

I should probably find one myself. Thank you for reminding me, for always reminding me, that we are never without God's presence.