Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Happy Memories

Sifting through an old box tonight, I happened upon several really enjoyable photos that took me back to my youth. One in particular seemed to invite me to share its story.

In my mind's eye I can still remember the excitement I felt when I noticed the baby squirrel sitting under my parents' car.

It was small and furry and happily munching on maple helicopters.

Immediately, I knew I just had to pet it and I quickly formed a plan.

Running into the house I got into my mother's good cashews and hurried outside with a big handful.

The tiny baby was too new to be afraid of people and I capitalized on this fact.

I edged myself under the car and offered the yummies to the infant creature. In a matter of moments I had it eating out of my hand. I even touched its soft fur with reverence. It was a magical moment.

A moment that was interrupted by its mother rushing down the tree and chattering at us both.

I'm not sure what that mother said, but I never saw the bitty one again.

Still, for just a brief moment the little one and I were friends. It is an absolutely delightful memory, one that makes me sigh contentedly.

Maybe you should find some childhood photos and dig your way through them. If you are like me, you will be blessed with what you remember.

No comments: