Monday, January 4, 2010

Back to the routine... not a bad thing...


With laughter my students and I welcomed our new year. We did "Calendar" time and happily talked about the different year that was now posted. We read poems and sang our alphabet backwards... just for fun.


I also introduced a new center during Welcome Time where my students can use http://www.starfall.com/, an amazing reading site. It was delightful to hear them exclaim when they realized they knew how to spell and read so many "word family" words. If you have a young child who is learning to read, or know one who is, may I suggest checking out this effective and ad free site.
I will not pretend that my students didn't need to be reminded of a few policies or that they were not tired in the afternoon. However, I was very proud of their first day back. Tomorrow will likely be a challenge, as they will still be tired and the novelty of being back may have worn off. Like anyone, small people often chafe under the restraints of routine after a "break". However, I know that they, like the rest of us, truly crave the safety and comfort of the normal day to day.
Curling up on the couch watching "nothing exciting" with my kids, doing a "normal" phonics game, even walking my dog down the same path everyday. The familiar makes me smile. Like friends we have known forever and mac and cheese, the days that hold "no surprises" are not unpleasant.
So today,
I give thanks
for PB&J,
Coffee with cream and sugar,
infomercials,
comfortable jeans
and my dear ones who always love me.
Life is good.
May your night,
your days...
your forever
be blessed with normality.
May you find comfort
and just enough adventure to make your path all it is meant to be.
Good night my friends.
=-)

No comments: