Saturday, January 2, 2010

Tiny tots and grandmas too....

This morning, the Columbus Metro Park's Winter Hike Series began (http://www.metroparks.net/UserUploads/UserDocuments/Winter-Hikes-2010-schedule-rfs.pdf). A newbie, I pulled into Blacklick park a bit before ten and immediately knew that this "event" was unlike any other "hike" I'd been part of. There was a line of cars waiting to park. The lots were marked with three foot florescent yellow signs and I have never seen so many Rangers and Volunteers... ever... anywhere...

I literally laughed outloud and pulled into line. When I passed the Ranger standing in the road, I too rolled down my window and received a map and instructions. With a shake of my head and a grin, I parked my car. I tried to find the "guided" four mile hike but no one seemed to know where that group was. So, I decided to head out on the self guided path.

Hiking solo in a deserted park is not odd; I do not find it lonely. However, hiking alone when most people are with others... that is a different matter. I was hiking rather fast, as I was not wearing an extra layer under my jeans and I find it feels rude to walk too close to couples. (It makes me feel as if I am eavesdropping.) I passed several groups, wishing them a good morning as I did. About ten minutes in, I fell in step with an older woman, who was also hiking by herself. We started chatting and hiked the rest of the path together.

Back at the lodge, Volunteers handed out soup and big containers of hot water stood ready. I happily made myself a cup of instant coffee and snapped a picture of the turtles that stood, snow covered, outside. Bitty toddlers in snowsuits held parents' hands... the crowd was a friendly bunch. I smiled at the hikers who had patches covering their gear from amazing places. Someday... someday... that will be, God willing, me...

The world is a lovely place. Each day a new experience... new people to meet... new places to go... wonders to explore...

Even within our daily routines, there are bits of joy to find... the discovery by my eldest and I that anteaters ride their mother's backs... the happy greeting posted by a fellow hiker on my meetup profile... Good people... a beautiful world... pretty scarves... snow covered turtles... laughter shared between strangers...

Yes... I give thanks... We are blessed...

No comments: