Sunday, January 3, 2010

Plans change... but you do need to make them...

Today, I came home from church and checked my email before heading out to meet my hiking buddies. I'm glad I did, as there was a note saying our hike was cancelled due to the cold weather. Though I know it was probably the best choice, I am still a bit disappointed. Oddly, I am also slightly relieved as well. It would have been a very cold walk.

Sometimes plans change. There are times when things do not unfold as we feel they ought to. Occasionally we see immediately that the unexpected change is a good one, other times the disturbance is entirely unwelcome and we complain bitterly to anyone who will listen. Despite the inherent uncertainty in life, I think it is a good that we feel called to look out into the world and think things over.

Everything in life is not possible...
I will never speak conversational Japanese with a flawless accent,
no matter how many lessons I seek...

I am grateful that my happiness is not dependant on the acquisition of this skill.

There are times when what I desire seems so far out of my grasp. Other times I know that persistence will bring me what I want..

On the back of my door near my desk is a Candy Land style grid that plots a goal of mine that is almost entirely dependant on "stick-to-it-tive-ness". I have had these types of goals before and I know I can eventually accomplish what I want.

I have some "goals" that could be more aptly named, "dreams". Some of my dreams are hopes for my loved ones, others are my own deepest desires. These fervent whispers of my heart can not be reached by making a grid.

These are the things I must give to God. I struggle to do this. I do not want to wait and see... I want results... NOW! (insert a stomp of the foot here) I sigh... I shake my head and know that it is the acknowledgement that I am not in charge that bothers me the most. I am so like the Sarah of the Old Testament Bible... I question... I think it all over... I'm pretty sure some days that God really couldn't expect me to honestly wait on Him...

Hasn't He heard what I want?....

Goodness how very human I am.. how very much in need of grace... so many blessings... yet I still question... The story of the "fleece" in Judges Chapters 6-8 really speaks to me. I could easily stand stead for Gideon in the story.

Have you ever felt this way?
As this new year begins,
I invite you join me in a prayer
for the faith
to trust the One
who has made the road
we walk upon each day...

To find a way to stay true to who we are called to be...
to be patient...
to look for the good around us...
to find satisfaction with things that are truly good...

Today,
Tomorrow,
Always...
May you be blessed.

No comments: