Monday, January 18, 2010

Blessings... sadness... Life is a journey...


Today I ate lunch with a very old friend.
The path of life seems to have brought the two of us full circle. What happens next is up to us. Will we renew a once beautiful friendship? Life, I always say is an adventure. Some of what comes our way we can neither prevent or call into being. What though, about the moments in our journey when, somehow we find that grace... God's grace, may allow us to begin an adventure we thought was finished?
As a Christian and a preacher's daughter, I have heard about forgiveness and mercy my whole life. For most of my life they were words that applied to other people. Sure, I "believed" Christ died for us all... but honestly, what had I done?... surely everyone else needed grace more than me... I wasn't nasty to those who fell into trouble... but I would never choose such clearly wrong things. Didn't "they" see what they were doing would make them unhappy? I felt pretty happy and satisfied from my safe and happy vantage point.
The last years of my life have tested me and I have not always lived up to what I have been taught. There have been times when I have very nearly lost my way... my faith... I know that is simply grace that has brought me "home" where I belong. God's love is so much better than anything offered by any other source.


Today, as the conversation with my dear friend unfolded, we asked each other's pardon. I found that in the giving and receiving of forgiveness we were both blessed. My world, feels right. I have missed my friend.


Life's adventure is an unusual mix of so many things. Sometimes we do not know exactly how to deal with everything that comes our way. Today... I smiled, shared lunch and went home, unaware of what I would find there.


Walking in, I went upstairs to put my coat down and check on our dog, who'd been feeling a bit under the weather. I found my furry son on my floor sick beyond anything I've ever seen. I reached for the phone and called my dad to come and help me and then I dialed the vet to say we were on our way.


In the end, our dear one, our Ben died. I couldn't believe it. How could he have gotten so sick so quickly? How didn't I "know"?


Ben was our first family dog. A good friend, a wonderful companion and the most tolerant pet ever created. He was a blessing. I am so grateful for his presence and so sad he is gone.


Life...
such a mix....
Good things like
Faith,
Family
and Forgiveness...
Sad things
like dear ones dying
and horrible lessons learned the hard way...
Ordinary things...
like rainy days,
cookies
and a good hike...
Through everything...
God is here with us...
life is...
a blessing...


This day and always,
I pray that I may always thank God for his presence...
come what may...

I'd rather walk through the darkest valley with Him...
than the most opulent palace all by myself...


I choose mercy over justice...
grace over riches...


I wish you good things...
blessings...
happiness...
Today,
Tomorrow...
Always...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh Susan - I am so sorry. It is so hard to lose a family member no matter whether they have two legs or four. I must send you Rainbow Bridge. It may make you cry but it may give you comfort. I still cry over my Mandy and it has been 3 1/2 years now.