Thursday, December 24, 2009

life goes on...

Everyday there are moments when the day to day wears on us, when our efforts at cheerfulness give way and we are tempted to snap at others. This very afternoon as I made a final effort to tidy up for the coming holiday, I became very frustrated. My son had made a horrible mess in the bathroom and it was going to take me a while to clean it up. My younger daughter had not understood the "taking out the trash" request and had just carried an open bag of trash outside and left it there, my eldest child was inquiring when we could leave for an adventure...

It was the open trash that set me off, as the reason for last week's terrible backyard mess became clear with a few choice questions. I started to yell.

While I know in my heart I am blessed and I certainly attest to this fact, I must confess that I am weary at times. Like so many, I find this time of year a challenge. I look to my left... then to my right... I see families together doing simple things and I am tempted to have a unpleasant conversation with God. How I long to stomp my feet like the five year olds I teach and complain bitterly.

Though we ask children to trust us and do their best, I find it hard to trust God and keep my chin up. Then I go for a walk, make cookies or talk to my friends and I realize that no matter who we are, we all have issues to face.

I have been given so very many blessings and so many wonderful things have happened this year. I've made new friends, tried new things like rappelling and kayaking and have completely fallen in love with hiking.
Life is good. So, it is that I find myself grateful this evening and full of hope. I know that no matter what I find on the path of life, God will not leave me. I have been given earthly friends and family for my journey as well... I am blessed.

I pray that you can count your blessings and come to my same conclusion. You are loved, you are blessed... you are a blessing...

No comments: