Saturday, December 12, 2009

Strangers...


Today I met one of my Meetup groups for a hike. "Meetup", for those of you who do not know, is an amazing organization that can help you find people who share your interests.

Do you like to jump out of airplanes and all your friends and family think you're crazy? Strap on a parachute next time and find some adventurers on the Meetup site at http://www.meetup.com/ and your problem is solved.

Do you like to knit afghans while yodeling?... good luck with that one... but who knows... I'm betting you could find a sewing club and a yodeling club... perhaps you'd be the one to unite the groups!

My outing today was at a local Metro park. There were fifteen of us with happy smiles as we set out into the forest and fifteen of us with delighted sighs when we hit the parking lot chattering about where to go for lunch. Before today, I had not met this particular group of people. Our group is large and there are a good many events so it isn't odd to find yourself in a group of strangers.

As I sat around the table with my trail mates, I smiled. The friendly strangers from the parking lot were now delightful acquaintances. Over time they may become friends. Regardless, they made for wonderful companions on my journey today. Meeting new people can be hard. However, I have found that when others share a favorite passion, it gives you a very good place to start talking.

I would strongly support checking out my link to Meetup and seeing what is in your area. (These are not groups for dating, though many members are single and it is not forbidden to ask an interested member for a cup of coffee. ) They are for everyone who would like to find others of like interests and make new friends along the way.

Another idea for those of you who like to be active in the winter is to check out your local park system's calendar, ours has a plethora of activities for those who'd rather bundle up then sit out the winter on the couch! My park system will even give me a patch if I come to seven of the hikes and will give me refreshments each time I come. How's that for a fabulous use of taxpayers' money?

I wish you happy things, blessings and peace.

May the One who made us all,
whose birth we will celebrate in less than two weeks,
be with you,
tonight,
tomorrow...
forever!

No comments: