Saturday, December 19, 2009

an unusual day...


This morning I got up and headed out to find donuts. Before ordering, I called my father to see what kind he and my mom would like. It turned out that they were headed out to breakfast and invited me to come. With a happy "yes", I changed my plans and my donut order. I dropped donuts off at three stops instead of four and met, " my favorite parents in the whole wide world" (insert grin here... they are of course my only parents).

After breakfast, I headed up to Highbanks Metro park in search of a hike. I had checked my meetup groups and no one was hiking. I packed my pack and determined that the trails at Highbanks looked interesting and I would head out solo. I have cell coverage in that neck of the woods and I figured I couldn't be the only person in Columbus who thought the day looked lovely.

Pulling into the parking lot, I opened my trunk and began hunting for my hat. I had a hoodie on under my coat, two pairs of gloves and socks and a scarf but it was a bit blustery and I was worried that without a hat I could become a little cold. So, I stood with my back to the parking lot and was digging in a school bag for my hat. I knew it was in there but there were so many "extra" things I was having a problem finding it. I was talking to myself... yup... I admit it... when up from behind me I heard a voice teasing me about my conversation.

I turned to see an old acquaintance. We said hello and I thought... huh... wonder why he is here. I put my hat on and headed into the nature center to get some trail advice and immediately ran (almost literally) into everyone I was hiking with last weekend.

It turns out that many of the members of my main meetup also belong to another outdoor group. I was invited along as a guest and we headed out. Up and down the trails we went. Enjoying the snow and the company. They are sincerely nice people.

Three and a half hours later, I found myself sitting around a table at an Asian buffet and trying frog legs and mussels. (Just an aside... the frog legs were delicious, the mussels in bean sauce... tasted like the mud from whence they came...yuck... If you haven't tried either, give them both a try and see what you think!)

What an unusual day... my solo hike... wasn't solo... Highbanks is beautiful though and I wasn't disappointed by the trails. I'll be back often this winter, I have a feeling it will become one of my favorite local parks.


Today...
Tonight...
Tomorrow...

May your adventures bring you blessings.

No comments: