Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Just Playing

My two youngest children and I took our dog for a walk tonight.

On the way back toward home,
I picked up two pine cones.

Round and hard,
they are good to throw.

I tossed them at my youngest daughter and laughed as they zoomed by her head.

I fetched the missed missiles and chucked them again
repeating the process until she picked them up and threw them back.

With a laugh the game ensued,
my dear one chuckled and tossed.

It was fun.

A moment of whimsy in a world that moves too fast.

So many times I get so caught up in the day to day that I don't take time to reach out to those who need extra help to have "fun".

Like my youngest,
my Katie has autism.

Unlike my son,
my dear daughter is so typical in so many ways that sometimes it is hard to remember that her self absorption isn't purposeful. It is hard to remember that she would actually like to be goofy... that she just needs some help.

We all have our moments when we need mercy.
When we need someone to reach out to us and meet us where we are.

Tonight,
my Katie Bug and I were both blessed.

A bitty happy thought floated through my mind and I was moved to seize the moment and play. She was blessed with the knowledge that I enjoy playing with her, I was blessed once again with the realization of how very endearing my precious baby girl is to me.

May you be given mercy when you need it and may you offer it as well.
I am sure
you will be blessed.

No comments: