Tuesday, June 23, 2009

wet

Today our school went to the outdoor pool.

We left with 34 kids and three adults
and returned with the same children and adults.

No one was hurt.

No one drank too much water.

The children enjoyed the sunshine
and the high eighty degree temperature.

The trip was a success.

Sleepy and hungry
our children were ushered off the bus
and into our school.

A few of them are still at school,
their day not quite done.

Me?
I'm back at home,
contemplating dinner
and thinking about what a trip to the pool means
to an adult with little ones in tow.

As I stood in the pool,
water up to my waist,
I watched people...
counted my students and
cheerfully observed the amazing,
breath holding,
bottom touching,
big splashing,
talents
of the children in my care.

I sigh a little as I type this,
anyone
who has accompanied small ones
to the pool
knows what my afternoon was like.

A small shrug...
another sigh...
I am convinced
there is a special place in heaven
for lifeguards,
who sit so still,
watching,
being splashed repeatedly,
carefully guarding the lives of their charges.
They make my job look like a day at the spa.

For me it was an effort of patience,
I was cold and I really don't like being splashed.

Yet,
I honestly care for the children in my crew.
I believe that happy carefree memories from our childhood
are blessings that insulate us from sadness as an adult.

So,
I stood and smiled.
Laughed and watched.
Just like all the other grown-ups.

On the plus side,
my tan is a little more even.
...a bit more golden....

Yah...
it's always good to find the silver lining.

May you be blessed this evening,
with the knowledge that what you do
can make the world a bit better.

...and may you find a moment of
happiness just for you...

I found a coffee...

what would make your evening nice?

I pray you find it... whatever it may be...

No comments: