Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Baby Bunnies!



This afternoon I decided to mow our yard. For once, I decided to mow the backyard first so I'd not be tempted to let it go "natural". (With a privacy fence, this is a very real temptation for me.) With this determination in my mind, I started across the backyard enjoying the satisfaction that comes with seeing the immediate results of ones efforts. The grass clippings were filling the air and the occasional moth would fly up as I passed over its resting place.

As I neared the east edge of the yard, I turned toward the house and began to mow parallel to the back wall of our home. I pushed the mower forward and then pulled it back. I hesitated for a moment and I glanced at the ground. There, right in front of me was something squirming just beneath the grass clippings. Whatever it was, it looked furry, not scary, so I bent over for a closer look. To my surprise and delight, the brown, blurry, wiggling was caused by three bunnies nestled together just below the surface! The poor dears were probably wondering what was causing the horrible noise above their heads.

Thank heavens the little ones were just below ground level and thank goodness my mower is set a little high. I shudder when I think of what could have happened. What a happy discovery to find the little animals in our very own yard and have them survive such a close call. I can hardly wait until our oldest comes home from work camp tomorrow, she is going to be so excited.

Luckily it is possible to see the nest by sticking your head out of our bedroom window and peering down below. This is extremely fortunate as I'll have to keep everyone, especially our dog, out of the back yard until the bunnies leave the nest. (Now that their cover has been disturbed, our dog would probably try to taste them.) With our window "lookout", we'll be able to spy on the babies without causing them or their mother more distress.

Who knew that my determination would lead to such a lovely discovery? Oh... yeah... I stopped mowing the back when I discovered the bunnies. I guess :) the grass will have to grow a little more. Ah shucks! I'm so disappointed to only have the front to mow!

No comments: