Monday, July 21, 2008

Sharing our talents

I don't know about you, but I find it much easier to write what I feel instead of saying it. Now, don't get me wrong, I love to talk and I think I'm a decent conversationalist however, the written word has benefits that speaking off the cuff just doesn't offer. (Like a backspace key to erase your words when you realize what you said could be misinterpreted.)

If you are reading this the week of July 20th, you'll be able to read a story called Farmer Bill and the Turtle that I wrote for a college creative writing class many years ago. (It should be located in the right hand column of the blog. ) After I recently watched a hungry critter feasting in an unattended garden, I was reminded of the tale and inspired to share it. After a little finagling, I made the book into a slide show on Flickr so that it could be played here. (You may have to manually pause the story to read some of the longer pages because I haven't quite mastered regulating slideshow speed.)

Despite "bugs" along the way, I have found that developing my skills and learning new ways to express myself is very satisfying. I enjoy figuring things out. I like seeking answers and testing them to see if they work for me. What about you? Do you have a passion to write? Do you paint beautifully? Should your dancing be showcased on one of those reality shows?

I really believe everyone has creative gifts. Some people call it "talent" or a "marketable skill". But, I think that view is missing something. Being able to do something well, to get better over time, to excel, is something very special.

Take some time to consider your gifts.

You are unlike anyone else that has come before you or will come after you.

You have something special to offer this world!

No comments: