Friday, July 18, 2008

Talking to strangers

Normally, if I am out in public alone, I am quiet and reserved. However, surround me with a group of children and I am transformed into a happy tour guide.

The children and I make conversation with friendly people and discuss everything we see in hushed but animated voices. It is because of this habit, that we discovered an amazing new place.

Located at 30 West Broad Street, the Rhodes building, is the tallest building in Columbus and the home of our the Ohio State Supreme Court.
These facts I already knew, what I didn't know, what the wonderfully kind woman, at the Third Street Information Desk of the Ohio State House, told me was this...
You can take the elevator to the 40th floor of the building!

Once there, you can wander through the hallways until you find the banks of windows that allow you a breathtaking view of the city below. You can stare down and look for landmarks, observe construction and just generally be awed. It is amazing! Well worth a trip.

If you go, be prepared to have your bag searched, it is a government building after all, and go during the week. The building is open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm. If you need more information please visit:



We teach our children to fear strangers and though I understand why and have taught my own kids to be wary. There are many times when my life has been made better, has been blessed by strangers.
The truth is, most people are very kind.
Most of the time strangers aren't out to get us.
So, be careful, but don't be afraid to smile and talk to genuinely nice people.
You might just discover, like I did, something wonderful!




No comments: