Friday, July 18, 2008

Just a few crumbs


As we sat under a shady tree on the State House lawn, I was struck by how small we seemed. I took my shoes off, (the grass felt really great!) and started to pass out lunch to everyone. Sitting on the ground, it felt like we were in a canyon with walls all around us. The "canyon walls" were of course just towering buildings, but the atmosphere was still delightful.


Everyone nibbled their sandwiches and settled in. We began to notice tiny birds flitting about. It seemed that they were in search of something to eat. On a whim, I tossed a crumb out onto the sidewalk and was instantly gratified by a swoop and a squeal (The swoop from the birds, the squeal from my delighted companions). Needless to say, what followed was a happy free for all, as the children and I, removed our crusts and tossed the bits a little at a time.


The interlude lasted just a few minutes, but the memory will remain in my mind a lot longer. It will stay with me, ready to be pulled out and cherished when I need a smile.
I really believe it is the little things that make life special.
The way a small bird tilts its head just before it picks a crumb up or the way it feels to sit in the grass on a fleeting summer day...
These are the things I value, these are the things that will always be mine.
What memories do you cherish?
What makes you smile?
If you're like me, it is easy to forget how blessed we really are.
Consider taking a few crumbs out to feed the birds or find time for a sandwich under a tree.
I bet you'll be glad you did.

No comments: