Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Never give up!

Have you ever walked past the same piece of fuzz on the carpet for a week before you picked it up? Or heard the aquarium gurgle begging for more liquid, yet somehow ignored it until the water level was two inches too low?

Do you think that we really "forget" to do these little things or is this selective amnesia most of us seem to develop, our way of exerting some sort of power over our lives? (If I refuse to pick up a piece of stray fuzz, my family isn't even likely to notice. Likewise, if I neglect to remedy slight evaporation, my fish will still probably be o.k. I have some choice in these matters.)
However, when we encounter situations that can not be ignored, we must formulate a plan. A way to make it through to the other side. Some problems are thrust upon us, while others are of our own making. It is one of the latter that I'd like to share with you.
Several weeks ago I got it into my head that the small tree in my front yard needed to come down. (It was topped years ago and has since begun to decay internally.) Feeling very pioneer like, I took my hand saw and climbed my ladder. I soon discovered however that sawing is hot and time consuming work! It was in this moment of realization that I had a choice. I could quit, no one would blame me, (Who really takes down a tree with a small saw?) or I could press on. Since my tree really does need to be removed, I chose to press onward. Today, I cut down the last large branch. The thump that resounded when the limb crashed to the ground was deeply satisfying.
Still before me lies the task of getting down the trunk. It won't be easy. But, I know that after coming this far, I will accomplish my goal. I will admit that some problems are not so simple. Sometimes our actions will not be able to fix everything. However, like my tree experience, I believe that if we persevere, we will make it to the other side.
If you have situations in your life that seem overwhelming, don't give up!
You will make it to a better place!
Put one foot in front of the other and keep walking.
If the problem is too big (or the saw too little in my case) ask for help!
Those that love and care for you will be happy to help you,
they might even offer a cool beverage!


No comments: