Sunday, July 13, 2008

Take Everyone for a Ride!

Today, our family had the great pleasure of experiencing one of the most amazing offerings of the Columbus Metro Parks System! In fact, I believe it would be accurate to say that we may have found the best program ever offered in a park!

While looking for outdoor activities this week, I decided to use the "program finder" located at: http://reservations.metroparks.net/programs/. This feature allows you to sort through the myriad of Metro Park offerings to find programs you may want to attend. (Perhaps you only want a program suitable for preschoolers or perchance you'd like an adults only event. With this tool you can easily find what you are looking for.) I just put in the dates I was looking for and left all the other categories open.

What popped up before my eyes was shocking! At two of our Metro Parks, (Sharon Woods and Three Creeks), there are trams! Yes, I'm not kidding...they have trams. You know, those fantastic covered bus/trolley sort of things you sometimes see shuttling people in amusement park, parking lots or taking tired fair goers back toward their cars. However, in this instance, the tram ride is the experience you are coming for, not an after thought created to ease your aching feet after a long day.

The tram program is designed to be accessible to all park goers. Not only is everyone welcome, I can confidently say everyone will enjoy the trip! If you need a place for your wheelchair, no problem! You'll have the best seats up in front of the tram. If you have a service animal, it is welcome too! If your pockets are empty, be at ease, the ride is free! If you are feeling tired and need to relax, this is for you! Traveling at about fifteen miles an hour, the wind will whip through your hair making you feel like you're on a pleasant drive with your windows down.

As we traveled around Sharon Woods, the volunteer spoke over the loud speaker system and told us about the parks special features and the creatures we might see. We passed fields of native flowers, evergreens where owls are said to roost and even saw raccoons as we passed a picnic area!
In addition to adding another animal to our list we've seen this summer, we also learned something new. Our naturalist told us that even though raccoons are normally nocturnal, it is not unusual to see them foraging in the day. It does not mean they are sick. Raccoons out during the day are usually mothers looking for food for their babies. As someone who loves learning, I was happy to add this fact to my knowledge of the animal kingdom.

What might you learn if you go? What might you see? I'm not sure but, if you live anywhere near Central Ohio, you simply must take a tram trip! I am confident that you will be as impressed as I am. If I sound like I'm gushing... well... I am but, with good reason. If sadly, you are not fortunate to live in Ohio, look into what your Parks system has to offer. I hope you will find something similar. (But, between you and me... Make your life happier...move to Ohio!)


2 comments:

Tracy said...

Looks like the tram will be visiting several of the parks:

http://www.metroparks.net/CmsData/Site/Documents/2008/Tram_2008.pdf

I can't wait to try them!

an adventurer on the road of life said...

You won't be disappointed!