Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Dandelions in life...weeds or unexpected flowers?

Sometimes in life we experience things that we never thought would happen to us. These occurrences can be good or bad, it really doesn't matter, because either can catch us unaware. (Although I've always contended I'd figure out a way to "deal" with winning millions!)

What should we do when we hit these "bumps" in life's road? As a child growing up, I always wanted to be a mother. I imagined what it would be like, using my own childhood for reference. As adult I have been blessed with three children, two of whom have autism. My life, although very good, is not what I envisioned.

Autism.... it is a word that makes many people sit up and pay attention.

For me, it is just a fact of life. It is the reason you have to know how to open a combination lock in order to get toilet paper at our house (think flooded bathroom) and the reason my ten year old watches Barney's Christmas Star, in July.

It is also the reason I haven't forgotten the joy of stamp machines and why my youngest daughter always knows where we are headed. (She has a truly spooky sense of direction.)

I am not here to raise autism awareness, in fact, I usually don't talk about it. My point is simply this, things happen in life that you don't expect. They can be good, like becoming a parent. They can be bad like losing a best friend. Or, like autism, they can simply be.

If you find that your "adventure" whether real or metaphorical, does not turn out the way you thought it would, take a deep breath and sit down.

I am convinced, that in the end, there is a bigger plan for us all.

I believe that the plan is good.

No comments: