Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Mass Transportation!

In many places all over the world, people use mass transportation.

Choosing buses, subways, trains and even sharing taxis are ways that we all can help conserve our world's resources.

But, did you know that riding them can be fun?

(I know... I know... you're thinking I'm just grasping at straws.... I'm not, so bear with me!)

In Columbus we have buses! Although I must admit they can be inconvenient to ride when where you want to go requires several transfers, they are a delight when all you need is a diversion and transportation in one direction.

In a bus you are up higher, even little kids can see out the windows. The sounds of the automatic announcements and the jingle of change at every stop pale only in comparison to the joy of people watching.

Buses are for everyone and so they are among the most diverse environments in our city. You can hear many different languages and even try to read the signs that are posted! (I do pretty well with the Spanish ones but, I'm lost when it comes to Somali!)

Sometimes, the bus will be so full when you get on that you'll have to stand. While you and I might sigh, little people generally find this amusing. Just hold on tight to the kids so they will feel safe and pretend you're on a roller coaster. If your driver is like the one we had the other day, it won't be a hard sell.

The cost for the adventure will be minimal. Kids 5 and under are free on our COTA buses. Kids 6-12 are 75 cents and everyone 13 and up costs 1.50. Our buses don't give change and if you happen to accidentally get on an express bus, they can cost a little more. For a happy experience stick to bus riding during the day on routes frequented by business people. (I once had a scary ride with yelling people when I chose the wrong route at the wrong time.) For more information on the buses in Columbus, Ohio check out: http://www.cota.com/.

If you live outside the Central Ohio, check into what mass transit is available in your area. I am sure your experiences will mirror my own. Before you go, rustle up some kids if you can, they make it more fun. (Borrow some if you need to!) The little guy in my picture is my nephew. He always loves to go on a good adventure!

1 comment:

Walker Zed said...

I remember a number of years ago riding a downtown bus where the driver would seranade her riders. Some of my fellow riders thought that she was crazy, but most of us were thankful for the entertainment and the oportunity to smile!