Saturday, July 19, 2008

Spend a day with a friend

Today I spent twelve hours with my oldest and dearest friend. We ended up visiting four very different parks in what I can only describe as a refreshing whirlwind.

At about nine o'clock we headed South to the Hocking Hills region. My friend hadn't been to down to these state parks in years and she was very excited to visit them as an adult.


Our first stop of the day was to the only real cave in the area, Rock House. ( http://www.hockinghillspark.com/Rock_House.asp) This area is very steep and I wouldn't advise a visit to anyone with wiggly little ones, bad knees or an excessive fear of heights. Since we didn't have any of those issues today, we headed into the woods in anticipation.

The views were amazing and the cave did not disappoint. Over our heads two giant slabs of rock formed a towering triangle and at either end, a sunny glow tempted us to peak out over the cliffs. As our eyes adjusted to the dim light inside, we discovered what was making the cooing sound echoing in the dark. There were mourning doves on the ledges above our heads! I tried to take their picture, but they flew and we ducked in fear of an unpleasant surprise!


Afterwards, we wandered about a little more admiring the various views before we headed back up the road to the next stop, Old Man's Cave! The parking lot near the visitors center was packed and we happily joined the throng. We went down the carved stone stairs, through the tunnel in the rock and climbed out onto the ledge that is Old Man's Cave. Named for a settler who made his home under the rock niche, this is probably one of the most popular and well known areas in the Hocking Hills region. (http://www.hockinghillspark.com/Old_Mans_Cave.asp)


Below the cave, I gave into the urge and joined other hikers in the water beneath the falls, though technically it is not allowed. I almost slipped on some rocks and a toddler skipping stones thought I was a good target. It was pretty funny actually trying not to fall while the little critter winged tiny pebbles in my direction. After playing in the water, we headed back using a path I'd never tried. The towering wooden steps gave me the heebie jeebies and the ledge at the summit was a littler narrower than I liked. But the view was beautiful so I remembered I was a grown-up and kept hiking. ( I admit I'm a little bit of a chicken.)


About this time, we were somewhat tired. We thought it would be smart to head out in search of lunch and have a break. Through the winding roads we went, gearing down to save the breaks on some steep grades and holding on tight on some harrowing turns.


Back up 33 North we went musing about where we should go next. Remembering that 33 passes Lancaster, I told my friend I knew someplace to go. We fought for a while with her Garmin as I really wasn't sure which way to go and neither was the navigation toy. (It sent us to the park office, not the park!) Finally we headed towards the hill in the distance and were rewarded by the sight of Rising Park. This park is fantastic, a real treat for adults and children alike. There is a large pond to fish in, the best playground imaginable (and shady too), wonderful places to picnic, bathrooms and the main event... the hike up the "mountain".


On a normal day, the hike can make me winded. But, as the park was the third stop of the day, we were exhausted! We made liberal use of the carved stone benches on the way up and really enjoyed the view and the breeze at the top! You can see for miles in all directions! (Check out: http://www.lancasterparks.com/.)


The trip down the hill was quicker, (though I'm sure to feel its affects tomorrow). Back in the car, we stopped for some fast food and ended up talking in the air conditioning for more than an hour. It was really great to have a whole day just to visit with no pressing agenda. We considered our options. We both agreed another hike was probably not doable. Yet, we weren't ready to end our day.


Heading in the general direction of Columbus, we continued to discuss possibilities. We ended up at a local premium ice cream store talking and eating amazing peanut butter and fudge sundaes! I was out of suggestions, but my friend was not. She said she remembered a park she went to as a child and thought it would have some benches to sit on and enjoy the rest of the afternoon. (We honestly never run out of conversation. Though she'll tell you I probably could talk all day to a kind stranger!)


Friendship Park in Gahanna, Ohio turned out to hold some of the best surprises of the day. As we walked through the park, my friend talked about how it looked different when she was little. We wandered past a large neighborhood garden in search of the fishing area she remembered.


We found the cement stairs heading down to the murky water. It didn't look like the path had been used lately. But, I was game to see the spot. After all, why not? So down we went and as I looked at the water's edge I saw something I haven't seen since I was maybe nine or ten!

There, just out of reach was a crayfish! A crawdad if you wish. An itty bitty freshwater lobster like creature!

I was so amazed and pleased. I asked my friend if she used to catch them as a child. She said she never had and wasn't sure she'd ever seen one. That was enough for me. I tried to catch it and ended up with both my feet stuck in terrible goo! It was a sight to behold, I really should have known better! I pulled my shoes out and we made our way back up top. Later, when I was cleaner, we finally found that bench.


From the shade, we had a view of the whole park but, especially the garden that is situated near the woods. As the hours passed, our conversation was periodically interrupted by exclamations of delight as a hungry groundhog made repeated trips to his own personal buffet. The furry creature wobbled along and we enjoyed his exploits.


As day turned to dusk, we headed to the car and found our way back to our own part of town. The day left me exhausted physically but filled with deep contentment.



Friendship...the kind that lasts for decades... is a blessing.


Find time, make time, take time for your favorite people.

No comments: