Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Fourth of July EGG HUNT!


I hope this blog finds you all happy and well. If it doesn't, I hope you at least get a chuckle from the craziness that is my life. Today was simply delightful. Our family got up and headed to our local parade where we enjoyed the prelude to Trick or Treat that celebrates our country's birth. There were the normal number of tee ball teams, beauty queens and even the nice church people passing out "freezee" pops with their Vacation Bible School information. Best of all was seeing the whole neighborhood together and happy despite the dampness!
I like standing to salute the flag and remembering why our country is great. I love cheering for politicians and girl scouts alike so they will throw extra candy our way. Yes, I am shameless, I love the candy the best! I don't even care about eating most of it, I could and do buy my own. But, there is something so awesome about cheering and scrambling for candy. It is a part of the holiday that is pure whimsy and I hope it never disappears.
After the parade, we returned to the house to get ready for the big cookout. My husband manned the grill while I finished up a few side dishes that I didn't quite get done. Then the family started to arrive! Everyone brought something to share and we all ate until we were stuffed. Our youngest daughter told her dad that she really liked the, "all you can eat buffet". Her stomachache later was testimony that she served herself.
My favorite part of the day was, hands down, the silly party games that I simply adore. Yesterday I picked up prizes that I knew our guests would enjoy and prepared for the main event. We played the memory tray game first. The tray contained all the prizes and I announced what they were, then I took the tray away and gave the family a few moments to try and write down all they could remember. The top two winners chose their favorite prizes off the tray and the games were off to a happy start. Next we played the, "how many words can you come up with out of..." game with of course, "Happy Fourth of July" for the letters to work with. We gave out prizes for the top winners using an animal trivia question to break the tie. Latter there was a crazy trivia game with questions that even I didn't know the answers to and I was asking the questions! It was really an excuse to learn a little more about the family but, in a fun way. What was Betty's favorite color? Where does Aunt Lesley want to travel? What does our niece want to be when she grows up? All these questions and more were answered. We all had fun and everyone shared a little about themselves. The games were concluded with the 1st Annual Fourth of July Egg Hunt! Everyone has eggs at Easter, because we are celebrating the new life given to us through Jesus. I proposed to our guests that since the Fourth represents the "Birth" of our nation there was simply no reason that an egg hunt was not appropriate! To my joy, I had takers on my silly adventure into the drizzling rain. (Yes, it was raining!) Everyone found the yummy candy filled eggs to their satisfaction and extra prizes were handed out to the ones who found "special" eggs.
The Fourth of July was fun! I am grateful to my family and friends who shared it with me. I am thankful to live in a wonderful country. I hope that wherever you are, your day went well. If not, think of my dearest family, standing in the rain, picking up eggs filled with candy, on the Fourth of July.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a fun fourth! Thanks for sharing!

Please visit my blog at:
http://moaningmirelle.blogspot.com/