Saturday, July 26, 2008

The Very Hungry Caterpillar...in real life....


Today, I was out in my garden deadheading flowers.

I looked down and reached in to cut off some dried Queen Anne's lace and noticed something on the plant.

It was a caterpillar! I thought to myself, "How cool!" and bent closer.

On further inspection, I realized that there were actually several caterpillars on the plant.

I jumped up and ran for the house hollering all the way.

I got my family and dragged them outside to show them what I'd found. When I was pointing out the big caterpillars, I realized I also saw teeny tiny fuzzy larvae too and even tiny gray eggs! I was so stunned.

Who would have thought The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle could come to life in my yard!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I've seen caterpillars before.

I've even been privileged enough to watch butterflies emerge from their chrysalis before because of a dear friend's classroom tradition. But, I have never seen a host plant with eggs, larvae and caterpillars all together!

What an amazing blessing!

I googled host plants and to my utter delight discovered that the squirmy critters feasting on my foliage are black swallowtails! (Check out: http://www.thebutterflyfarmer.com/bflys/bsopen.jpg.)

I saw a tattered swallowtail a week or two ago and felt so sorry for its condition. It was clear it was near the end of its life. I just wonder if it was "she" that laid my wonderful surprise.

My daughters, especially my youngest, adore butterflies and are as excited as I am. We are eagerly anticipating the formation of chrysalis at some point.

Wow!

=-D

No comments: