Monday, September 14, 2009

Brussel Sprouts?

I often say life is an adventure.
What is it that I mean?
Like you many of you,
I go to work each day.
I do chores in my home.
I pay bills.

So, where then is the adventure?

I make mac and cheese,
try to convince my own children to do their homework
and like almost everyone,
have odd piles of papers I don't think will ever go away.

Despite this,

or perhaps because of this,

I look for the quiet joys in life.

Someday I will see the Grand Canyon.

Now I will hike the best trails this part of the country has to offer.

Over a course of a lifetime,

I hope to perfect and discover

wonderful new cookie recipes to share at the holidays.

I am content to add one or two every year. Finding and collecting the treasures and savouring their delights.

Some days, I am tired and I am frustrated. Sometimes the thoughts in my head are neither nice nor especially kind.

There are times when the mundane is at risk of overshadowing the happy things.

Then I am blessed with things like Brussel Sprouts.

Yeah...

I did say brussel sprouts.

Using a recipe given to me by the very interesting man I am seeing, I shared a very nice time with my students today.

Sharing...

I think that is the key to adventure.

...the reason we all seem to seek companionship...

Whether it is delighting in "baby cabbages" that, "smell like peas" or having someone to hike up a hill with, life is better when we share it.

I am thankful for my children,

for my students,

for my dear ones...

My life is an adventure because of them.

No comments: