Friday, September 25, 2009

ordinary beauty

The other evening I was taking a walk by myself. My children were enjoying a visit with their father and I was enjoying some fresh air and the possibility of a tall cup of Tim Horton's. I went into the restaurant and no one walked to the counter. I stood there for a few moments and decided that it wasn't worth fussing over.

I had actually already had a cup of coffee on the way home from work and as it was only about seven in the evening, I supposed it was not actually a "necessary" purchase. I walked back out the door and noticed the staff taking a break out back. I mused that it was a good thing it was me who'd been ignored.

I honestly like the young adults who work there. Generally hardworking and always kind, I figured I'd just cut my losses and walk toward home. I was a bit disappointed as I strolled without my cup of joe. But, as I looked at the lights beginning to come on and listened to the busy night sounds in my suburb, I figured that the world wasn't coming to an end over my coffee.

Just then, I passed a landscaped island and something caught my eye. I turned back to look again. Sure enough, there on the ordinary looking bushes, were the most delightful lemony blossoms. I took out my phone and took a picture to share.

Like the friend who cleans their closet and shares hand me downs or the mother who calls announcing that she baked extra of her special casserole and she has some to share; the flowers were one of life's little miracles. Bitty jewels of joy that are sprinkled throughout life thus making the ordinary and perhaps dreary day into something better.

It is the small things,
the little "happinesses" that I believe keep us all going.

The blessings we never see coming,
the unexpected rays of sunshine.


I pray that something wonderful is headed your way,
a bitty treat to make you smile.

May your night,
your tomorrow,
your always,
bring you peace.

No comments: