Monday, October 5, 2009

a baby sister...

I couldn't help but smile when one of my bitty kiddos drew this picture of himself and his little sister. Quiet and sweet, this little guy is a blessing to have in my classroom. Always offering a cheery disposition, he is a ray of sunshine even on the cloudiest of days.

When we were outside having some free time today writing words, I challenged the children to write things they did not necessarily know how to spell. This little guy stepped up to the challenge and was willing to give his sister's name a try.

When I think of how eager this young man is to learn, I know that everyday I must try my best as well. Learning new things and stretching the mind are two activities best practiced by grown-ups and children alike. So, everyday, just like my young charges, I work on learning new things. Whether it is something in my personal life, some new Spanish word, a new recipe or a new teaching technique, I try to learn something everyday.

Some days I am not so open to the effort, it is easy to feel overwhelmed or discouraged when what we are learning seems "too big" or "too hard". I understand when my young students just want to play. There are days when we must take it easy. The ability to relax and enjoy the moments we are given may actually be a skill that is more important than anything else I can teach or learn.

Life is a gift...
an adventure...
May you and I be given the ability to enjoy our walk...
learning what we should
and taking time to enjoy the beauty we are given.
Now and always,
I wish you grace and peace.

No comments: