Saturday, October 3, 2009

Conkles Hollow... Ash Cave


I started my morning making sandwiches in my best friend's kitchen. (My children are with their father for the weekend and I am visiting my "sis".)

About eleven o'clock last night, while reviewing the menu I was planning for my picnic today, I realized that it had escaped my notice to get some veggies for the sandwiches. Although I was completely aware that my companion would not complain, I really wanted the sandwiches to be good, not just serviceable. It mattered to me. So at about 6:30 this morning I was carrying on a conversation with one of the very nice women who work at my local Kroger store. Not eating fresh onions myself, I needed her advice as to which one would go well on a roast beef sandwich.

After securing my desired items, I went back to my sister's house and assembled the meal. Later after hiking the trails in the Conkles Hollow State Nature Preserve, my hiking partner and I sat together at a picnic bench. I found myself waiting and watching. I felt a bit unsure. I am a good cook but the nice man I am seeing is honestly someone whose creativity in the kitchen could rival many supposed chefs. Just hearing my guy "talk food" makes me hungry. So, though I wanted to take a turn making lunch, I was nervous.

As someone who analyzes a great deal in life,
my new adventures sometimes make my shake my head in bemusement.


I am
more adventurous...
more emotional...
more questioning...
than I ever have been before.

Sometimes I feel...
exhilarated...
worried...
happy...
nervous...
hopeful...

As I listen to my Spanish CD's in the car.
As I think about my first camping trip in years...
As I do lesson plans and ponder my professional growth...
As I pack lunches for a very dear man...

I am learning,
I am living...

I hope that today's adventure has brought you to a place that rests easy on your mind. I pray that whatever you must face, you are given the strength to make it to the other side. ...and finally, that you are blessed with bitty mushrooms by your path, soft sand under your feet and fellow happy hikers who see your smile and know you are someone who will be happy to help make the journey a good one.

No comments: