Thursday, October 22, 2009

Questions... questions... questions...

There is a plethora of ladybugs in our area, perhaps yours as well. My Kindergarten students have taken to catching them everyday. Yesterday, two very concerned girls inquired about what their new friends needed to eat. I told them I wasn't sure and that I'd look it up on the computer. I found a website www.ladybuglady.com that I will share with my curious students this morning. Beyond just telling my girls that ladybugs eat "aphids", this site will show them all they could ever desire to know.

I could have supplied the word "aphid" myself however, if I had, they would have lost the opportunity to really discover the answer to their question. I am excited about their interest and have figured out a way to work the project into our morning activities. Our writing will now be about what we learn, our fun project? A construction paper ladybug of course... with movable wings and spots!

I love to learn new things, meeting new people is one way to do this. Each of us has varied interests and experiences. When someone is talking to me and I don't understand what they are saying, I try to stop them and ask. Because of this, I am often able to recall what they have shared and use the knowledge later.

I am grateful to know that pet ladybugs can eat moistened raisins, that some people hate them and that sitting under a rustic chandelier covered in the critters is not a good idea if someone turns off the light for prayer. Some of this knowledge I learned today, some I have discovered talking to friends and some... like the unpleasant tickle of a ladybug that has fallen down your shirt... I learned from life experience.

I pray that you learn something interesting today. May this day, and everyone that is given to you bring you wonderful adventures. Now and forever, may you be blessed.


No comments: