Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Welcome to Bunny Day!

Last night when I returned home from my CPR class it was around 10:30 pm. I was very tired and I knew that today could be a difficult day. When my feet hit the carpet this morning, my mind was still whirling on what I could do to make today a very good day. I thought about my standards, about my lesson plans and about my goals for the day and week and I came up with a happy idea. I decided to declare Tuesday, "Bunny Day". Armed with a "Perfect Pumpkin" Max and Ruby DVD, foam pumpkin shapes from a parent and handwriting paper, I headed to work.

At breakfast I told the children that today was a special day and that when we got our normal work done, we were going to do something, "fun". With this knowledge shared, the children and I began our normal Circle activities, Language Arts games and even completed our weekly assessments and a Math paper.

When ten o'clock rolled around and my co-teacher arrived, it was time for small group work. I took my students to the theater room and we watched one episode about our favorite naughty bunny and his sister as they searched for the, "Perfect Pumpkin".

Afterward we used the computer to learn about real rabbits, compared and contrasted the fantasy to reality and talked about what we knew about rabbits. When we made it back to our classroom, each child was encouraged to sound out their own sentence. We discussed spacing, capitalization and even punctuation and clarity. My Kindergarten students then wrote their own thoughts down.

The results made me smile and every dear one was rewarded with their very own bunny to color and cut out. When they were done, they glued a pumpkin on their bunny and I helped them use brads to make their creature's ears move.

Bunny Day made my students happy, helped us meet our goals and made a day that could have been long and exhausting for me into a pleasant experience. I am so glad for the job I have and the children I have been entrusted to teach.

I am also grateful for....

bunnies!

=-)

No comments: