Friday, November 27, 2009

Traditions that warm the heart... that set off fire alarms...

One of my happiest childhood memories of my Grandmother is helping her make hardtack candy at Christmas. I remember watching her do the "drop" test to see if the candy made a brittle thread in the cup of water. I remember being told to, "Stand Back!" and watching her pour the steaming molten candy. But, best of all, I remember that when the candy was cool I was allowed to twist the trays and crack the beautiful "glass". Then each piece was covered in powdered sugar and layered into glass jars for giving to loved ones.

My heart is warm when I think of my Grandma. I really miss her, especially around the holidays. Today, I started making candy. Blueberry began the season.

The title... you may wonder... yeah... I really did set the fire alarm off... I got distracted and burned the first batch. It takes a while to get from 200 degrees to 250 and very little from 250 to burned. I walked out of the room at exactly the wrong time. Though arguably... you should never walk out when you're making candy... I know... I know... hush! =-)



No comments: