Wednesday, November 18, 2009

My favorite vowel activity I've ever done!

Today, using a vast collection of stuffed critters from my mother's seemingly endless supply of teaching "loot", my students and I returned "pets lost on vacation" to their proper homes. Each child sat along my classroom wall and was given an animal. When they were lightly tapped, they quickly said the animal's name and found it's home at one of the area's marked with vowel letters. For example, a fox was taken to the /o/ area while a cat was taken home to the /a/ table.

After all the pets were placed, the "Animal Rescue Boss" came and grumpily made sure all the animals were where they should be. If a creature was not in its proper "home" the "Boss" repeated the animal's name, heavily emphasising the vowel sound. After saying the pet's name, the "Boss" then yelled, "danger" and tossed the critter to a waiting "helper".

No comments: