Thursday, November 5, 2009

Well laid plans...

My afternoon was,
a comedy of errors...
except that it wasn't funny,
to me when it was happening.

From wind blown sight word cards
to missing shoes and tired little people...
I was exhausted and not especially cheerful at the end of my work day.

I am discouraged when my "best laid plans" seem to get waylaid.

In the whole scheme of things,
we all have moments,
hours...
days,
when we feel like the world is not going as we'd like.

Yet,
in the end,
do we believe it will be ok?

If we acknowledge,
that through circumstance,
wrong actions
and just "bad luck"
things can go wrong
(even if we do everything the best we know how);
we can be left to wonder why we should choose goodness.
If being good does not protect us,
why pursue it?
Are we,
like the Santa song suggests
supposed to be "Good for goodness sake"?
And who decides what's good anyway?
At the heart of our worldview is the question of faith.
Is there someone who cares?
Is it even possible to say yes to the concept of moral absolutes
if we do not acknowledge a higher power?

Faith...
Goodness...
All that matters...
More than just words...
If we were to receive a call that someone we loved was in danger...
would we hit our knees and cry out for mercy?
If we prayed with all our heart and the worst still happened...

Did He not hear... or was the answer... "No"?
Life...
Kindergarten...
Adventures that make my eyes turn questioningly toward the moon lit sky...
The world is so beautiful,
there are so many very good people.
May you and I,
be counted among them.


No comments: