Monday, November 16, 2009

Word family cars... Transportation... Happy Days...

I will not lie,
there are days,
that I,
like nearly everyone,
wish I could stay
under the covers a bit longer.


Today was one of those days.

I was sincerely tired and I wished,
oh how I wished for a day to just be lazy.

Never-the-less, I was grateful for my job and knew that so many people would gladly have mine.

So it was a sleepy,
but not honestly unhappy,
"Ms. Susan" who made her way into school.
I set up for my day. This week I am teaching Social Studies and Language Arts in my afternoon. Mornings I teach a bit of Math, Phonics, Writing and two Reading Groups. As I set up for my day, I thought things over and tried to anticipate the normal issues that can arise on Mondays.
Things went well. We welcomed back a friend who'd been out most of last week, had a guest parent reader and even received our toothbrush treats from the Tommy the Toothbrush who had visited on Friday.
When the afternoon came, I was a bit excited about the Word Family Cars my students were making. Tracing wheels, cutting, gluing and decorating. Each child chose a word family chart and several words to write on their automobile. They grinned and so did I. The first group had a few minutes left and made things that began with the vowel "A". One child drew a picture of a pretty little classmate while another made an alligator.
Perhaps you can see where this is going...
I must confess...
Maybe...
just maybe...
I laughed and suggested...
that perhaps the alligator might eat the dear one!

Glued above the little girl's likeness,
on our banner...
you guessed it...
it's an alligator...
Yes...
I do...
LOVE
Kindergarten...
And on the days when it is hard...
when things go poorly...
it is memories of smiles,
alligators...
and bitty girls that keep me going.

No comments: